Personal Soul-Winning – Part 2 You CAN Witness! by Rev. Sharon Wooten
Personal Soul-Winning – Part 2 You CAN Witness!
Why did Jesus come? Luke 19:10 “for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
God is calling the church to take on, once again, the burden for the lost. A personal realization of the need to cry out to God for the salvation of the world; of our loved ones, of friends, work mates and complete strangers! And to move into action. Not just praying but actively witnessing to those around us.
“The church which does not seek the lost is lost itself.” – Rheinhard Bonnke1
I think everyone of us wants to be a soul winner but we, for some reason or another, feel we
are not good at it and then we just don’t.
Why Do Believers Not Witness?
- They don’t know they are supposed to.
- They don’t know who to witness to.
- They don’t know how to witness.
Last week we covered that we are all supposed to witness and we begin with witnessing to our family and those on our prayer list. This week I want to give you some practical ways of how to witness. We know that witnessing must, must, must begin with prayer.
- For God to give us the heart and burden to win the lost to Him.
- For God to give us His love for them.
- For God to empower us with boldness in the Holy Spirit to witness effectively.We have been sharing the importance of prayer first. I hope you have made an Evangelistic Prayer List of all those that you know who do not know Jesus as their Saviour. Pray over these every day. You can even make a certain day of the week your “Salvation” Day where all day you are recalling their names, even while you are working, and asking God to save them.
- Pray In Faith, With Expectation that they WILL get saved!
The light of Jesus WILL penetrate their hearts and they WILL come to Jesus!
- Pray Passionately!
James 5:16-18 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.1 Quotes from: Eby, James. Great Commission Equipping Conference Notes: Phase 1. Houston: Mission Catalyst International, Date unknown. p. 18
Hebrews 5:7 (This is speaking of Jesus) 7 who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, Vehement cries means showing strong feeling; forceful, passionate, or intense cries.
• And Pray Persistently.
We know from Acts 12 that when the church prays constantly, God supernaturally intervenes.
Luke 18:1 “Then He (Jesus) spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart,”
In prayer (intimacy with God), God will give you:
- His love for the lost so that they stand out to you wherever you go. You will be drawnto them and they to you. If God brings someone to you it is so you can bring them toHim!
- The Holy Spirit to empower you to witness. Seek the Baptism of the Holy Spirit! It isthe job of the Holy Spirit to convict the world of sin. When you are speaking He isgoing to work on their hearts. John 16:8.
- Wisdom in how to speak to the person that you are with. James 1:5. Sometimes it isthat you can directly ask them about their eternity. Other times you have to build relationship. Sometimes it will be an opportunity to pray for healing that will lead to their salvation.HOW TO WITNESS EFFECTIVELY: Begin with the people on your Prayer List. Ask God who you should talk to this coming week.1. Share Your Story. (Do this quickly – two minutes.) “May I tell you a story?” People love to hear a story. People cannot argue with your story.
- Tell what your life was like before you came to Christ
- Tell how you came to Christ
- Tell what Jesus did for you – how He changed your lifeImportant: If they don’t want to hear your story just bless them and walk away. Don’t force yourself on them.
2. Witness By Sharing About The Three Circles:
Begin by asking, “May I show you how to find joy, peace, and forgiveness of your sin?
- Draw the first circle, write “broken world”
- “Our world is broken by war – drugs – anger – greed – cruelty.”
- Draw second circle, write “God’s design”
- “God did not want us to be broken.”
- Draw the heart inside the circle – “God loves us and wants us to bless us.”
- Draw the arrow connecting the two circles, write “sin”
- “Sinning brings this brokenness.”
- Draw third circle, write “Jesus” above it
2 Draw the down arrow in the circle – “God sent Jesus into the world to save us.” Draw the cross in the circle – “Jesus died to take away our sins.”
“Jesus rose from the dead and is alive.”
Draw arrow pointing upward in the circle, write “turn” and “believe” between the broken world circle and the Jesus circle.
“This is how we are born again – by believing that Jesus died for our sins and rose again for us and by turning from our sins and asking Him to forgive us of our sins.”
Write “follow Jesus” below the circle
Ask them: “Would you like to find joy and peace and forgiveness of sin by giving your life to Jesus?”
Lead them in a prayer of salvation: (Be led by the Holy Spirit)
Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. Please come into my life and forgive my sins. By faith I gratefully receive your gift of salvation. I am ready to trust you as my Lord and Savior. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for coming to earth. I believe you are the Son of God who died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead on the third day. Thank you for bearing my sins and giving me the gift of eternal life. I believe your words are true. Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, and be my Savior. Amen.
Explain to them that they have received Jesus into their lives and they are now part of the family of God. Quote 1 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” Draw arrow, write “obey” & “grow”. “God wants you to know Him. We begin by reading the Word of God. Do you have a Bible?”
As we learn about God and Jesus we choose to obey His Word the Bible and this causes us to grow in our faith.” This is how we become mature followers of Jesus.
“I can help you follow Jesus by meeting with you once each week for eight weeks.”2
2 How to Witness Effectively from: Eby, James. Great Commission Equipping Conference Notes: Phase 1. Houston: Mission Catalyst International, Date unknown. pp. 21-22
- Look For An Opportunity For A Divine Supernatural Demonstration.
- Someone may be sick and you can tell them, “Would you allow me to pray for you. I believe that when I pray in the name of Jesus, that He will heal you!” Luke 9:1-2 Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. 2 He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
- Someone may have a problem and is discouraged. Pray for them and tell them that they need to give their lives to Jesus and He is the problem solver.
- You may come up on a car accident. Be bold! Begin praying out loud for God to help in Jesus name!
- God can even use you to deliver someone from a demon. Don’t be afraid. You are covered in the blood of Jesus! Speak His name! See Luke 9:1-2
- Even in conversations God can give you Supernatural insight; a word of Knowledge or Wisdom to speak into someone’s life. When they ask, “How do you know so much?”, just lead them to Jesus.
- I also believe God is already giving sinners dreams and visions of Jesus. They are natural (1 Cor 2:14) so they may not fully understand them. God will give you Divine insight to interpret dreams for the purpose of leading them to Jesus.
- God is going to use more and more of His children to speak prophetically in the lives of sinners and the fulfillment will be a witness.
- It is important to be ready that some people will reject you and even be very harsh. Don’t argue; don’t react or get loud back at them. The mark of a Christian is the love of God. Just say something like, “Okay, I bless you and hope you have a good day.”
Just walk away. Stay pleasant. Your kind response may cause them to seek you out later.
- Supernatural demonstrations should never to draw people to us, but always to drawpeople to Jesus!
- Jesus is with you, always. Matthew 28:18-20 18 And Jesus came and spoke to them,saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.Assignment for this week.
- Write out your story and practice telling it to family members in your house. Keep it to two minutes.
- Practice drawing the three circles until you can do it very comfortably and practice explaining it to a family member. Children can even do this. It is simple enough.
- Practice leading someone through the sinners prayer. Say it repeatedly until you are comfortable with leading the prayer.